Sunday, February 22, 2009

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible knapsack(textbook journal #4)

I thought because I was born in America that I had the same privileges as those of the white race. I could understand that the white men had more privileges because they were men. For white women I thought differently. I believed that white women did not have the same privileges. After reading the "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" by Peggy McIntosh I saw things differently. I come to understand because a women is white, she has more privileges maybe it’s not the same privileges as the white men. A white woman has more privileges than a black woman. As McIntosh, states "white privileges is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions . . . clothes, tools, and blank checks." Thought it may not seem to white women they have more privileges, circumstances says other wise. According to Mintosh " I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed." I get so upset knowing that people make assumptions that only people of color are likely to steal, when the average white woman can steal. But because it is a white woman (her privilege) one would choose not to follow her. I remember watching on a "Sister Sister" episode, a same situation occurred when a one of the twins’ friends had to watch black people in a store to make sure they did not steal. In these circumstances, I am becoming more and more aware that blacks don't have the same privileges as those of the white race.

McIntosh states that "I can easily buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, and toys." I am amazed that I never notice these things, though in stores I daily pass pictures with white families, and even in Disney movies, all the Princess are white. I also think it is the same for the white race; they too do not notice their "privilege" being their faces is plaster on almost everything. With all the different races in America why is it that the white race are represent in almost the stores and even in Disney movies? I don't think I will every understand it. If a police pulls over a black person it is most likely that because of their race unlike a white person. I remember Will Smith in an interview said that a police told him just because he was black; the police officer chose to pull him over. Though Will Smith is a famous he was stilled pulled over because he was black. For a white person, because of their "privilege" they probably would never go through this experience. Maybe black people will never have the same privileges as white people, but now I can say I am aware of it of the difference in privileges. I continue to see the world the way it is.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Asi,
    This is a thorough analysis of some key concepts in the chapter. The saliency of some of our positions in society make it easier to identify. Thus, some privilege is easier to identify, while other can go unacknowledged.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Joy,
    MLH

    ReplyDelete