Sunday, March 8, 2009

(textbook journal #6 Ch.13)

When I think o f women of color, I think of someone who is strong and very hard-working. I also think of all the issues that women of color face. I know that we (I am a woman of color) face disease, lack of education, unemployment issues. I find it amazing that African-American women are twice as likely to have diabetes. At least one out of three African American women will suffer from high blood pressure. It also saddens my heart to know that HIV/AIDS are higher among African-American women. When I read statics like these, I really don't know what to think of them or how I should act. I wonder why we, black women suffer from these diseases? I think that it is important to take care of our bodies and get frequent check ups. I wonder if getting the monthly check up among us black women is a problem? Is is because they don't have the money for hospital bills. Or is it because we are black and for that reason we are more likely to be diagnosed with these diseases? These issues are very haunting to me. What should I think when I read that in 2004 poverty among African-American was 24.7 percent. I know in my family education is very important, I have seen in my family suffering to pay for bills. I have come to believe that working hard is very important in this world. When I first read that the "images of a Black women contrasted against images of "legitimate" rape victim have contributed to the discrediting Black women's allegations of rape" I was shocked (372). I thought I miss read this but I have heard many stories that make this statement true. I can't believe and I don't think it is right that a White women rape may get more attention than that of a Black women rape. I have always hear on news how that the rape of a white get the news attention more than a Black women. I will never understand this, is there something in a Black women that is of less value to people? No one should be treated better than another race.

No comments:

Post a Comment