Friday, March 13, 2009

Fresh Lipstick: Rethinking Images of Women in Advertising #7

As I was reading this article I could stop thinking about the statement "a woman is often measured by the things she cannot control." At first I did not know what to think of this quote but after thinking about it, it is ashamed that a woman is measured by her body. The curve she has or does not have shapes who she is. I am not going to lie I use to struggle with my image. I did not understand why I was shaped the way I was and I just did not like who I was. I wanted to change. I use to pray to God that He would change my image. If I was not tall, if I was too quiet, if I was not aggressive, than because of that I was not the ideal girl. I was told that I was ugly and because of that I had set in my mind and my heart that I was ugly and I was not of any worth. Every magazine had tall women that were skinny, with blue eyes, and blonde hair. I always wonder how some women in the magazines had flawless bodies. These images that I saw when I was younger, made me think that there was something wrong with me. I felt so inadequate. Now that I am older and I know who I am in Christ, I don't let what others say, shape who I am. I feel so sorry, for the younger generations because many of them think being skinny is how they are suppose to be or perfect body. Some many ladies are dying of anorexia or over eating because they are not satisfied with their image. There are even websites that are promoting anorexia and that scares me because they don't know who they are. They are women of worth, no matter how they are shape. I don't understand how the media can give images what they think are the "perfect" body. Who gives them the right to portray what they think is the “perfect” body. I do see that today's media give a variety of images of body shapes and I think that is wonderful. I just hope people will choose to live healthy. A person who is skinny is not necessary healthy. No matter if a person has curves or no curves should not shape who they are. True beauty is inside.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Asia,

    Thank you for sharing this journal response with me. It reflects the power of cultural messages that we receive from the media. But praise be to God, we know that Christ says different. We are His beautiful children.

    Hope,
    MLH

    ReplyDelete